01 December 2006

Introducing...


My new web site!





Okay...it's been live for a while, but I've been tinkering and fiddling and then I kinda got distracted with work, school, CBBP2, getting Menu For Hope 3 going...and given it's been up on my sidebar for a while, it's not one of my better-kept "secrets.

Sensualgourmet.ca is all about me and my ever-evolving relationship with food. It comforts and sustains; it nourishes; it defines; it separates; it attracts.

I'm sure some of you are asking why Sensual Gourmet.

You see, when I started gathering my thoughts and opinions under the title "Confessions of a Cardamom Addict" I was writing for a different audience. When I started this blog, I kept the name because it was familiar to me and it represented my first attempts at writing about food.

In time, my cooking, tasting, writing and photography evolved. Nigella Lawson (a favourite food writer) summed up things perfectly in How to Eat: The pleasures and principles of good food,

"Cooking is just not about joining the dots, following one recipe slavishly and then moving on to the next. It's about developing an understanding of food, a sense of assurance in the kitchen, about the simple desire to make yourself something to eat."

Sensual Gourmet marks my own, on-going education of food and growing assurance in the kitchen.

The title, I think, sums up what cooking and eating are all about: the senses---the appearance of a rambutan—its burr-like hair on a red and brown shell contrasted against the pearlescent white of its fruit, the warm, yeasty scent that fills the home when baking bread, the sound of the song of a roasting chicken as its fats clarify in a hot oven, the feel—both the nubbly tactile nature of bittermelon and the soft, melting mouthfeel of panna cotta, and of course the taste of hot astringency of fresh ginger.

Links to both my blogs (Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Sensual Gourmet: Kitchen Diaries) are there--yes, I will keep on with my blogging. I've also add "permanent homes" for reviews and recipes, along with a growing list of foodblogs and food references.

I hope you'll visit it from time to time.

cheers!
jasmine

add this page to del.icio.us

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Jasmine!

I just spent a few minutes browsing the site and it's great! Nice colors, and I defitely appreciate the different sections; I like a good visual organization (I guess it compensates for the messy person I otherwise am...). Love the reviews section in particular.

I just copied down the saying from Nigella Lawson; a very accurate way to express how I also see cooking.

Longue vie à la Sensual Gourmet!

AnneH

jasmine said...

Merçi beaucoup mon amie!

I have a great designer-turned-friend without whom none of it could have been possible.


j

Anonymous said...

hey jasmine. it's a lot of work w/ one site alone! now i just have to get me a designer friend of my own, lol. xhtml & css = arrrgh. at least, the more advanced stuff.

good luck with everything! looks great.