24 March 2009

Mayonnaise and tartar sauces

For reasons which I'll explain at another time, I...umm...encouraged my cold to return

It's not as bad as it was last month but the right side of my head is back to feeling like it's filled with panna cotta.

Anyway, so not to leave you without a foodish post for an inordinate amount of time, I'm leaving you with the mayonnaise recipe I used as the base for the sauces for last week's fish cakes post.
Basic Mayonnaise
makes about 300-325ml
2 egg yolks
125ml canola oil mixed with 125ml peanut oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar, warmed
salt and pepper

Whisk together the yolks with some salt and pepper. In a thin but steady stream, slowly pour in the oils while whisking. When you've blendeded everything together, give it a taste and adjust seasoning. Whisk for another minutes or so.

Tartar Sauce variant: add chopped capers, chopped cornichons or cucumber relish with a squirt of chilli garlic sauce to the mayonnaise.


cheers!
jasmine



AddThis Social Bookmark Button






5 comments:

K and S said...

oh no! feel better soon.

Jenny said...

How do you "encourage" a cold to come back? Just so I know what not to do.
Hope you feel better soon.

NKP said...

Feel better, Jasmine!
I love homemade mayo, and tartar sauce.
I haven't seen the warming of the vinegar before - what does that do for the mayo?

breadchick said...

Oh drat and darn.

I hope you feel better very soon. I've got your fishcakes on my menu for Friday so this will come in handy.

Anonymous said...

Hope you and that cold part company soon! xo