11 March 2007

Cheese, Gromit! Cheese...


My shopping habits swing between two extremes: buy the brands and flavours I know or buy things I've never had before. What determines my shopping mood is usually my busy-ness, stress, and fatigue--I just don't feel like getting creative when I'm not in the mood ... you know.

Okay, there is an exception to that rule: if it's a new-to-me cheesy treat, I'm there.

Yesterday I went to my favourite local gourmet shop. Its cramped aisles were nearly impassable for all the bodies squeezing around one another. All I wanted was a good sandwich, those really hot potato chips I love (a must with roast beef sandwiches, I think), and Portuguese olives. Because of the crush of people I shuffled off to the side to peruse the shelves while I waited for my number to be called by the deli girls and found my self in front of a supplier table.

A CHEESE supplier table.

Apparently, the shop started carrying
Upper Canada Cheese products a few weeks ago and a rep was in talking to people about their products. I've not heard of them before, so we chatted...and I sampled. They have two types: Comfort Cream and Niagara Gold. Comfort cream is a bloomy rind type akin to a Camembert or a Brie; Niagara Gold is a washed rind cheese that's similar to an Oka. They both were on the mild side and had an incredibly creamy mouth feel--and yes, is a very happy golden yellow. I found out the reason these cheeses were so luscious: they use milk from Guernseys (Guernsey milk has higher butterfat than standard Holstein milk).

So I picked up a wedge--which may last a week at most and turned towards the olive counter...and then I found them: Gorgonzola-stuffed green olives.

Heaven.

I've been on a Gorgonzola kick as of late, pairing it with whatever I can--from pears to broccoli I'm in my own blue cheese heaven. Yes, I know they're appetiser/snacky morsels of loveliness, but I'm trying to think of a way to cook with them...Right now, using them as pizza toppings is winning out...that is, if they last long enough to make it to a pizza.

cheers!
jasmine



add this page to del.icio.us

7 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh boy I'm sure with you on the Gorgonzola green olives...love those. Mine have never lasted long enough to cook with!

Anonymous said...

I really shouldn't have read this post without any cheese in the house :( I had my last bit of Camembert last night and now I'm craving it again! Great description of the cheeses :)

Helene said...

I know what I would do with them: put them in a savory cake batter with some prosciutto and cut it in small squares to have as an appetizer with some Proseco or cut thin larger slices for a grilled cheese sandwiches...toast some cubes for croutons in salad....You got me inspired. If you need a savory batter recipe here is one I use to accomodate all sorts of combos:
200 gr. flour
3 eggs
100 ml. milk
50 ml. olive oil
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
herbs of choice
fillings of choice (cheese, sundried tomatoes, olives, meats,...)
Combine the flour with b. powder, and salt. Add the eggs, milk and oil and beat with a wooden spatula or whisk. gently fold in your preferred additions and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

K and S said...

I think I saw that Wallace and Grommit episode :) those cheeses that you described sounded heavenly!

Julie said...

Those cheese photos are luscious. I love discovering new cheeses too. The perfect meal to me is bread, cheese, olives, prosciutto and grilled veggies. And nothing wrong with eating those olives as is...although they would be quite nice tossed with pasta:)

Elizabeth said...

Gorgonzola stuffed green olives!!?! Wow. I can't really imagine what that must be like. The two strong flavours don't conflict?

On the other hand... gorgonzola and pears, gorgonzola in spinach salad, gorgonzola on pasta, gorgonzola with a dessert wine... mmmmmm

-Elizabeth

jasmine said...

Hello all

Tanna--they are so good...and gone :(

Ellie--Thanks...a home without cheese is just very wrong! Get thee to a fromagerie!

Helene--thanks so much! I need to go out and buy some more olives (all gone!) to try this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Kat--I love W&G--have been a fan for years and years...

Elizabeth -- Yes, they are strong flavours, but they do work well. I've got some raincoast crispbreads I pair them with (along with milder cheeses)--the contrast with sweetish and salty work very well.