04 March 2007

Feast: Gung Hei Fat Choy! Part One

Last week one of my favourite dim-summy places celebrated the Chinese New Year with a special feast. Yes, we know The Year of the Pig began on 18 February, but this restaurant does a two-week celebration. We were lucky enough to get a table (I called 11pm the night before for reservations)--throughout our two-hours of nibbly goodness there were queues ranging from four people to what looked to me of more than 20.

The last four images (as blurry as they are) are of the Lion Dance. The crampt restaurant had a special little dance just for that day--I've never seen one in person. I thought the puppeteer was quite good--he attacked a hanging lettuce head (a symbol of wealth, or so I was told) in a way similar to Mr. Bean and a bowl of left over chicken...At the end, pieces flew everywhere.









cheers!
jasmine



add this page to del.icio.us

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Lion dances are really impressive, really enjoyed the one I got to see.

K and S said...

Kung Hee Fat Choy, Jasmine! What a lovely feast you had!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jasmine - sounds like you had a wonderful time celebrating... beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

if you don't mind my asking, where are these lovely nibbles offered?

Peabody said...

Wow, I am so jealous...so yummy.

jasmine said...

Hello all

Tanna: It was really fun. I was amazed at the puppeteer's skills.

Kat and Gilly: Thanks--it was a lot of fun.

Adrianna: It's a little place not too far from me...

Peabody: If you show up here on a Sunday, I'll take you :)

j