09 April 2008

Angry Eating

Yesterday I was in a &(*?%"@ mood. All I'll say is that I had a &(*?%"@ day which pretty much turned into a mostly &(*?%"@ night.

When I get this...angry...I don't grumble--grumbling is a sign that I just need to talk things through and sort things out and all's good.


When I'm truly irate I get incredibly placid.

Apparently, for those attuned, it can be quite unnerving. They'd feel better if I yelled, sent objects hurtling through space or even if I scalpeled them so precisely with logic, they haemorrhaged from mere ego.

But they get nothing like that.

What they receive is extreme politeness, relatively few words and a timed exit. Those who aren't attuned think I'm pensive or simply taking things awfully well.

Regardless, when suppertime came, I wanted something that took no effort, had good doses of salt and fat and meat. Definitely meat. What this strata of mood brings on is my decidedly carnivorous side's blind desire for something to die for me to be satiated. Sometimes it's greasy steak fajitas, sometimes its a steak sandwich, sometimes it's a beefy burger. This time it was quite simple--a big bacon cheeseburger with everything (less tomato slices) and poutine...which was put off until tonight. Some of the &&(*?%"@ mood remained today...so perhaps this fast food fare may help to lift this cloud.

Which got me wondering...

When I'm stressed or inconsolable I want comfort food. Over the years I've vacillated between this food and that food, but I usually want something that is palpably cared for and doted over. Give me a nice piece of roast beef with gravy, mushrooms and garlicky mashed potatoes and much seems better. I want to taste that someone actually cares about feeding me.

But when I'm in a &(*?%"@ mood I want much the same foodish items, but not so fussed on. I want fast. I want hot. I want food that's slammed on a griddle, plunged into sizzling hot fats and dumped on a plate. I don't want delicate victuals. I don't want something that needs exact timing or precise temperatures.

So...here's a question for you...when you are angry and need feeding, what do you crave? Does it, in any way, resemble your comfort food?

cheers!
jasmine



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

23 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

When I am angry...or frustrated...I want something quick...like a grilled cheese sandwich...or whatever baked good is sitting around.

Anonymous said...

What a great question! When I am sick and low I want soups things that replenish my liquids and require no more work than slurping and dunking - I always have chicken stock in the freezer, so garlic soup or chicken soup with a poached egg is good. When I am sad I want starchy, fatty things like pasta carbonara. I guess when I am angry I also want hot, fast, slam it on the plate things. I don't have the patience for the contemplative chopping that usually mellows me out. I don't want bland food. And I don't want nice healthy veg. I want pitta food. I want meat. I want things with hot angry grill marks. Failing that a hot SPICY stir fry is a good option.

glamah16 said...

I know it may raise eyebrows, but I liek to concoc fruity cosktails when Im angry. Is if food no. Then after a few of those a big chese burger or maybe some pasta.

Bron said...

Hi Jasmine,
I think I'm the same, I also like a "good dose of of salt and fat and meat" when I'm mad. Probably in the way of a burger too, one that I can tear apart with my teeth but won't dribble down my chin, cos that would make me really MAD..lol. However I'm also known to take huge comfort in starchy/creamy carbs, mac'n'cheese etc. sadly my butt confirms this well!

Unknown said...

Hey Jasmine..

I happened to stumble upon your blog and 'cardamom' intrigued me ; now i am reading all your archives and loving it...

For me Anger food is toasted cheese sandwiches..

and comfort food: Curry (v.v. spicy) and ice-cream.. no scoops or bowls; i like to sit in front of the TV with the whole carton..Delish

Karen Baking Soda said...

In that state of mind I don't. Eat I mean. Can't taste anything, don't have the patience. Now that I think of it, I think I resort to the vacuum cleaner, brush, scrub, anything that demands careless vigorous repetitive movements.
(Hmmm maybe I should get in that mood more often..)

Jenny said...

That is a very interesting question! Not sure I can answer it without some thought though.
I have not had poutine in years! I gave up French fries for new years one year and have never gone back, which means no poutine for me!

K and S said...

hmmm will have to give that a thought, but I hope your bad day has since turned to a good one!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Great question, because we have all had those days. For me, it must be something salty like a big bowl of lo mein, eaten with chopsticks -- which slows me down enough to help the anger dissipate. Comfort food is something lovely, like a roast chicken or a creamy risotto.

ChefSara said...

When I'm in that foul of a mood, i just need something that I had absolutely NO HAND in preparing. I don't care what it is, as long as not a single speck of it is the result of any work on my part. That usually means fast food...Chipotle's chicken fajita burritos are a common soother of those moods...

Deborah said...

I wish I craved meat when I was stressed or upset - I'll usually just eat too many sweets instead!!

Annemarie said...

Poor cows and pigs who must suffer the result of Jasmine's wrath. I don't know if I have angry food(s) but I suspect the anger mainly comes out on the manner of eating the food - impaling, gnashing, forcibly gulping down whatever poor item is within my eye range (humans included, sadly for them).

breadchick said...

Jasmine,

This is why Frito Lay is having such a good month on me this month! All I want is a bag of Lays when I'm having a bad day. Or when I need comfort food, scrambled eggs on toast with a Kraft single on the bottom (what my mom would make when we were sick) or Cream of Wheat with half a bag of chocolate chips thrown in to make your own Cocowheat.

Of course a good burger never hurt anyone...

Sorry you had such a !@@##$ day yesterday.

Sara said...

when i'm mad or unhappy, unfortunately i want "bad" food - hamburgers (not homemade), french fries (fried, not baked). my ultimate comfort food is bread - preferably sourdough or a crunchy baguette, but any kind will do - smeared with butter.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

What a question!
Anger for me tips two ways I either have to strike out and be active (take a walk or wash windows activity) or I want a bag of freetos.
Comfort, I think of the potato.

browniegirl said...

For me its chocolate!!!!!!!! Any kind of chocolate but the best is a locally made 55% that is velvety smooth and just has such an amazing mouthfeel!!!! It releases my anger fast!! If Im just in a blue mood or feeling lonely or sad, then my great comfort food is anything loaded with carbs and cheese!!!!!!!

Kristen said...

When I'm upset, I usually go for the familiar comfort foods. Macaroni and cheese, mashed poatoes, grilled cheese sandwiches, american chop suey. Anger calls for chocolate usually. And maybe a margarita. ;)

Jaime said...

i usually want ice cream :) but it really depends on my mood. sometimes it's mac n cheese, chili, chicken pot pie, etc. and of course sometimes it's chocolate!

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of all you anger-eaters! When I'm in an ire, my stomach knots and all I can do is ride it out until happier times emerge... at which point, I find I eat well since something unhealthful risks setting me back down the spiral again!

But your suggestions are worth gold--I am craving grilled cheese now like nothing else!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jasmine..I found you through your masala chai recipe. And I stayed to look around because apparantly you and I have the same favorite spice! You have good taste... ;-)

If I'm in one of those moods, I tend to go for pasta with marinara, with a side consisting of nibbling my way through my vast pickle collection. And then chocolate. Anything.

Unknown said...

Me has got a BAAAAD sweet tooth and that gets even worse when i am angry. which means getting my hand on (in no particular order apart from front to back in the cupboard!): the jar of Nutella, cooking chocolate, biscuits, flapjacks, a slice of bread buttered and smeared with honey - dunked in cold milk -, and so on....then me proceed to go for a 4 or 5 miles run to shut up the guilt of all those calories!
nice blog BTW, just discovered it today looking for someone who's have written down the Honey chocolate cake recipe -sacing me typing it :)

jasmine said...

Wow!

Isn't it amazing how one sort of emotion can make us turn to so many types of food?

jasmine,
no longer in a &(*?%"@ mood, now just in a snarkily bemused mood.

Peabody said...

I ate fries and drank a pint tonight in anger.