06 April 2008

Food Fest: Elmira Maple Syrup Festival

Spring has sprung. Or, at least it wants to spring.

April's first Saturday is when people from far and wide descend upon Elmira, Ontario to celebrate all lovely mapley goodness at
The Elmira Maple Syrup Festival. As I wrote in a previous post, I head up every couple of years and load up on the sweet stuff. Yesterday I got up early (for a Saturday) and headed in with a friend.

I'm always a little surprised at the variety of food available there. Yes, there's maple candy, maple taffy, maple fudge, maple butter, maple glazed goodies (buns, funnel cakes, etc) and of course) maple syrup on pancakes. But there's also back bacon sandwiches, sausages, turkey, souvlaki, jams, jellies and all sorts of things. I try and pace myself, but I'm not that good at it--had the pancake breakfast and then later I just HAD to get a backbacon sandwich...while I was waiting for a nice fluffy bun crammed full of yummy yummy bacon, that booth ran out of sausage...70kgs (150lbs) in three hours...

Here are some of my snapshots...



(l) crates of corn waiting to be roasted
(r) sticky maple syrup buns


(l) funnel cake in strawberries, maple syrup and whipped cream
(r) all sorts of lovely jams and jellies


(l) skewered meats
(r) the longest spring rolls I've ever seen


(l) the Gingrichs' maple syrup table (I always get my syrup from them)
(r) mmmm....bacon....


(l) toffee apples

(r) souvlaki


(l) pancakes pancaking on one of th big breakfast grills

(r) all that's left of my brekkie plate

cheers!
jasmine




AddThis Social Bookmark Button










14 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I want a toffee apple!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

No kidding, those are the longest spring rolls ever seen. But it's the souvlaki that gets me; just looking at the photo, I can smell the meat on the grill. Oh boy!

K and S said...

those are the longest spring rolls! what a delicious event!

Anonymous said...

What a great festival...Its the back bacon sandwiches which got me!

Anonymous said...

When my mom was still alive she used to go every year and get me maple syrup, which she either kept for me until we visited Canada or she sent it along with someone that was visiting Italy. Funny how I was thinking about this just the other day.
I had a bit of a Homer Simpson moment looking at your pictures (MMMMMM funnel cakes!)

Sara said...

Wow, look at all that food! Looks like a great event. Scott used to get a back bacon on a bun with fried onions at the farmers market in Millarville every Saturday. I guess I'll have to make them for him at home now.

Deborah said...

What a fun festival!

Peabody said...

I definitely miss maple syrup festivals. I try to drag my husband up to them but he is not a fan of the maple syrup(yes, he should be shot).

Gigi said...

Jasmine be a dear and send me a toffee apple ...please! (I kid!) It sounds like you had a fantastic time. I loved all the photos of the food available ...such variety. Yummy!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Now, this is the time to move! Let's switch houses,countries and oh well I throw my family in for good measure! You've managed to capture all my favourite foods in one market (I'll leave you the toffee apples).

Helene said...

My head is spinning from all the wonderful foods! What great fun!

glamah16 said...

I know what Im lookong for on my trip up north.What a fun festival.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I remember funnel cakes. I used to go to the festival every year when I lived in Cambridge. Alas no maples in the West. My mom and brother were there last Saturday so I live vicariously through them:D

jasmine said...

Hello all

The festival is a lot of fun and if you are in the area on April's first Saturday, you should really visit. Heck, let me know you're coming and I might be able to meet you!

And there are lots of apples for everyone.

j