07 June 2006

TSIR #3: Of sweetness and roses

Deciding my first ice cream made with my new ice cream maker was much easier than deciding what my first scoop of summer (or summer-like weather) was.

No, my first batch of ice cream was not going to be French Vanilla, Chocolate, nor my once-signature Irish Cream.

For weeks, I've been thinking of a dessert I saw posted on Cooking Debauchery--Kitarra's
Cardamom Panna Cotta. It was her submission to Tigers & Strawberry's first TSIR event.

What kept my mind working was how she used rosewater in that creamy-sweet dessert. It was only natural for me to take inspiration from from what sounded like a simply divine combination. It's also a combination that qualifies me for Tigers & Strawberries' TSIR: The Perfumed Garden.

The ice cream machine came with several recipes, but I decided to play with
Alton Brown's Vanilla Ice Cream recipe (I'll probably make that one next). Why this one? Because it uses a creme anglaise base--these ice creams always make me happy.

What oozed out of the churning bowl was as divine a treat as I expected.

Simply heaven in a bowl.

The ice cream is very rich and creamy. It is reminiscent of champagne roses in colour, scent and flavour. The cardamom is there, but not overpowering. It also reminds me of trips to Morocco and India.

Quite honestly, I'd classify it as a "special occasion" ice cream. Something celebratory, something summery, even something girlie.

And I think christening my brand new toy is a special occasion.

Rose-Cardamom Ice Cream
Ingredients
500ml heavy cream
500ml milk (two-per cent or full-fat)
8 large egg yolks
250g white sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
0.75tsp rose essence
powdered seeds of two cardamom pods

Putting it together
(for a 1.5L ice cream maker)

  1. Simmer the cream and milk with the cardamom over a medium-low flame--be sure to stir occasionally. Take off the heat.
  2. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in colour. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine.
  3. Temper the cream into the sweetened eggs in small amounts. Do this until approximately one-third to one-half of the cream is incorporated into the eggs. Pour the sweetened eggy-creamy mixture back into the saucepan and return to the hob. Turn the flame to low and stir constantly while the mixture thickens slightly. You know you're done when it coats the back of a spoon.
  4. Strain the mixture and pour into a two-litre jug. Let it come down to room temperature, then add the flavourings before refrigerating for at least four hours.
  5. Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Let it churn for about 25 or 30 minutes. When done, transfer the ice cream into a freezer-friendly container and let sit in the freezer for two or three hours before serving.

cheers!
jasmine

Related posts:

TSIR #3: The Perfumed Garden Round Up Part One

TSIR #3: The Perfumed Garden Round Up Part Two

Rose essence vs. rose water

tags:


15 comments:

The Guardian said...

Oh man! I'm drooling! I think my nnnnnnnnnn key is stuck from all the drool.

That sounds absolutely yum-licious!

I so want an ice cream machine now....I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I'm sooo impressed with your ice cream. It really does look delicious! More, more! Make some more!

Thanks for not forgetting about the muffins. In due time. I'm patient. ;-)

Best,
Paz

Anonymous said...

oh it looks heavenly. I think I should get one of those ice cream makers. But oh my oh my diet! *sigh*

K and S said...

I thought I left a comment, but I guess not. This flavor sounds so nice! A little rose & some cardamom. Lovely!

jasmine said...

One thing I forgot to mention, is that rose essence is not the same thing as rosewater. If you have rose water, double the quantity used (use 1.5 teaspoons of rosewater instead of .75 teapsoon of rose essence).

Welcome back Cutie! Wish you could sample a bowl.

Paz--thanks for your patience :) As you know, ask and you shall receive (eventually) -- I'm working on other flavours--some more traditional than others :)

Rebekka--Welcome! So glad you like my little space here. I hadn't thought of pairing it with citrus...what a great idea.

Chas--Diets (as in those that deny eaters the pleasure of ice cream or anything else) are not allowed to be mentioned on this blog. Consider this space a haven from such nonsense :) BTW, you can make frozen drinks, sorbets and frozen yoghurts with ice cream makers too.

Hi Kat -- not to worry. Blogger has been having connection and server issues for the past few days. Your note got through this time :)

j

The Guardian said...

Hey! I'm just a hop skip and a jump away from the Big North...All ya gotta do is holler, I'm always up for a roadtrip!

Macky said...

I'm just dying to get an ice cream maker. Cardamom and rose is what I used for TSIR #3 too!

jasmine said...

Hi Cutie -- hmmmm...ice cream boink...


Hi Macky -- Welcome! Isn't it funny how certain flavour combinations keep popping up on TSIR?

Elizabeth said...

That looks delicious!

We haven't had the best luck with the rosewater that we've gotten in the past. Which rose essence did you use?

-Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe...want to try it out, but where do the rose essence and the vanilla come into play? Have they been left out or am I blind?

Anonymous said...

That ice-cream sounds fantastic!

jasmine said...

Hello all

Elizabeth -- The flavouring I use came from India and I don't think is available here...sorry.

Anonymous -- Thanks so much! I thought I had it in there, but apparently not--just add them after the mixture comes to room temperature. I've amended it...

Ellie -- Glad you like it!

j

Dharma Designs said...

Yum! I am a cardamom addict, too! Glad I found your blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a cardamom ice cream recipe and I think this will be the one I use. Can't wait!

tasteofbeirut said...

Looks yummy. My daughter's favorite flavor is rose and I am partial to cardamom! I did some research on rose water recently and found out that it is not terribly difficult to make your own, provided the roses are a certain variety. which is another hurdle.