15 July 2009

Stir fried broccolini


First, a couple of bits of news.

New Yorkers can now experience a bit of Canada, now that Tim Hortons has set up stakes in The Big Apple. Why am I mentioning this? In all the hullaballoo this little blog was mentioned not once but twice by some pretty well-read sources. Both the Gothamist and the National Post's The Appetizer linked to my Dutchie doughnut post (IMO, the quintessential Canadian doughnut).

I've finally gotten off my juicilious behind and started Tweeting. Yes, I know...I've been looking at doing this off and on since I first came across it two years ago, and decided to hop on a branch and challenge myself to the 140 character limitation--a tight writing excercise if there ever was. So, if you're looking for more of my inanities and mundanities (but in bite-sized portions), you can follow my omnivorous Tweeting @cardamomaddict. (No, I don't know why my "following" patchwork has three images, while the full list is actually greater).

Back to the matter at hand.

Keeping detailed recipes has never been my strong suit. When I cook for myself I just put things together until they taste "right"; my kitchen diaries (my hardcopy ones, not Sensual Gourmet:Kitchen Diaries) will usuall have a list of ingredients, devoid of quantities or techniques. My baking pagers will have quantities, a temp and rough time, but no technique.

Like watching reality TV, reading anything by Dan Brown or listening to Celine Dion, keeping such detailed notes goes against my grain.

But unlike watching reality TV, reading anything by Dan Brown or listening to Celine Dion, I try my best to make notes specifically for foods I hope to post about. Sometimes my best isn't good enough.

Take today's post about stir fried broccolini. I could try and employ "spin" and employ one of the most hideous of all communications crutches by saying "I'm giving you, Dear Reader, permission to break the confines of weights and measures and let your gut guide your palate and just let you fly free and easy with the base ingredients."

Bollocks.

I didn't write down how much of what I used.

But it was good. So, Dear Reader, I offer you another non-recipe recipe. This time, for stir fried broccolini. Basically lightly steam the broccolini and remove the spears to a dish, make a sauce out of the rest of the ingredients, reduce it down and then reintroduce the veggies. Warm through and toss to coat.

Stir fried broccolini
one of jasmine's non-recipe recipes

broccolini
a few spoons of water
oil
one minced garlic clove
minced ginger
oyster sauce
ketchup
chilli-garlic sauce
soy sauce


cheers!
jasmine

I'm a quill for hire!





AddThis Social Bookmark Button

6 comments:

Aimée said...

I'll look for you on Twitter!
Congrats on the mentions--wow Timmys in NY, now that is something.

Valérie said...

Lol! I know exactly what you mean: I tend to forget the details of my "recipes" as well. Except I've never been brave enough to just think "aw, hell with it" and post about them anyway. Thank you for making me feel less self-conscious!

This does sound good, though! Ketchup and oyster sauce are not a combination I would make intuitively, but why not?

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Ah Jasmine aren't those just 'real' best recipes!
Twitting and FaceBook somehow both elude me. I can't seem to get it even though I'm on both ... too old maybe.

NKP said...

In my town they just put in a Timmy's - across the street from another one. I guess the line-ups in the morning were rather long.
Congrats on your brushes with fame! So nice to be noticed.. especially for deliciousness.
I do like broccolini, looks tasty!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Hey Jasmine, hooray to your continued fame and hopefully impending fortune!

I made this broccolini recipe tonight as part of a magnificent feast with my family (whom I rarely get to eat with) and it was enjoyed by all! Unfortunately the broccolini at the shop was very sad indeed so we made do with broccoli. Yum! Thanks!

Madam Chow said...

This sounds lovely. Usually, I just use garlic, but since I have all the other condiments, I am going to give this one a try.