11 March 2008

It's like being five years old again

Two snowstorms within seven days left us with a lot of snow and not a lot of places to put the tonnes of frozen flakes. The weather forecasters, newsreaders and traffic reporters spent days warning us about how bad things would be...and they were right.

Sunday night I got a call from My Dear Little Mummy, who'd gotten wind of the storm...all the way in India. She tracked the storm via BBC News, and watched the destruction on the Atlantic and Ohio...as she said "It was all white and then I saw a little head peeping out (from behind the snow drifts)." Which she thought was funny...then I told her the snow banks were taller than her...she didn't think that was funny. Really, it was like being in kindergarten, not being able to see over the drifts and banks.

Unfortunately, the air pressure turned migraine inducing...I have little memory of Friday, or most of Sunday for that matter, except for a couple of handfuls of pain pills, blankets and almost total darkness.

Saturday, I was one of the insane people who went out grocery shopping. The MidsizedMildlyAnnoyingMegamart is pretty much across the street from me, but I took my life into my own hands, given the slippy roads, notsogreat visibility and the ice that kept forming on my wiper blades. I was well enough to do some baking, but Beelzebub lived up to his name and turned my poor little blueberry buttermilk muffins into charcoal-stumped cakelettes. They are so sad, I couldn't bare taking pictures...really...bad things should not happen to good blueberries.

Sunday, before the vice grip-like hold on my head rendered me useless, I dug out George (my car)...with the help of my two wonderful neighbours. I also took some pictures, so my parents could appreciate what they skipped out on...



L: The view from my front door...that smear of grey is George. Yes I have a garage, but there's a desk in there which is keeping me from parking in it...

M: My parent's walk...

R: See that splotch of red? That's my Dad's car. Apart from the lumpy snow in front, it's all drift.




L: My parents' front garden...that loopy thing is a wire trellissy thing that theoretically protects the plants from the former neighbours' kids...and vermin...

M: My condo again...see that big snow pile under the tree--it's more than twice the height of a car.

R: My neighour's front garden, seen from the shared driveway.

Sorry, no food pictures or food post. If you're interested in a dessert that uses snow, take a look at
Jenny's post.


cheers!
jasmine

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

10 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Oh my, we are finally getting some sunshine here. (Have I mentioned how much I hate snow?)

glamah16 said...

I'd brave the elements to shop, and then shut myself in and do some serious baking/cooking.Its almost all melted here, save for some dirty ice here and there.

K and S said...

Oh My, sending you an 85F hug from Hawaii! -- Though I do love looking at snow (since I've never grown up with it).

breadchick said...

Yup, as I told Quellia, this is the first winter in a really long time that looks like the winters of our childhood. Makes me wish I still lived in the Northwoods to see it all.

Hope spring comes soon for you!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Snow, you got snow . . .
No bad things shouldn't happen to good blueberries!
Take care with that snow!!

Jenny said...

I was in your neck of the woods this last weekend Jasmine (driving the QEW on Friday night, ugh.) I waved, did you feel me wave?
And sadly, your snow banks look like little babies compared to what we have here, but at least no one had to call in the army this time. :-)
Hope your head is feeling better!

Sara said...

Holy Cow! That is a lot of snow. You poor girl. Come visit me, ours is almost all gone!

Madam Chow said...

Oh, my. I was in Utah last week, and they've also been having record snowfall. It was amazing. Love the pictures!

Gigi said...

...Snow! I'm originally from Chicago, IL and one year after a blizzard, I braved the elements to dig out my car. The plow trucks had piled all the snow on the corner car. Only to realize it was not my car! I thought I had parked right on the corner, but I was the second car to the corner. Hopefully spring and sunshine is right around the corner.

jasmine said...

Hello all

It was an amazing snowfall--reminiscent of what winters used to be like, non?

Jenny--What were you doing driving in that? Oi...a friend of mine got stuck on the 401 for four hours because they shut down the road with her on it...Yes, saw Globe and Mail's front page and that tower of snow...

j