05 April 2007

Feast: The exbf's birthday supper

I suppose it's not a bad thing to start off with dessert, but I suppose it's only fair to share what the exbf wanted for his birthday supper.

Normally we head out to the restaurant of his choice, but this year he wanted barbecue. Unfortunately, neither one of us could think of a barbecue place that's in town. The closest thing we could come up with were some really, really mediocre roadhouses.

After some though, he realised what he really wanted were ribs...and my mum's corn fritters (sorry, can't share that recipe).

Before January, I'd never made ribs before in my life. Cravings for such meaty morsels were rare and satisfied with by ribfests or some mid-ish priced restaurants, usually on road trips.


What got me making ribs (the first time, at least) was a sale--a great culinary motivator, I think. I took home a slab or rack or a ribcage or whatever they call them and did some research and experimented with making a spice rub, based on a couple of recipes I found online.

Well...if I do say so myself, those were mighty fine ribs. All juicy and spicy and saucy (saucy thanks to Canadian Club barbecue sauce). Apparently the exbf like them too, because he asked for those ribs again.

This time, instead of going to the bigscarymegamart for the meat, I went to my favourite butcher. What a difference. There was meat on them there bones. I let the dry rub sit on the meat for about six hours before boiling them for an hour. After patting them dry, I put more of the rub on and then poured the barbecue sauce on and baked them, basting with more sauce every 10 minutes or so.

The ribs were even better than before--which I attribute to the meat. My bf, TFE, was at the little get-together and he thought they were amazing--very juicy, nicely spiced, almost mahogany in colour and very addictive.

In fact, TFE liked them so much, he's requested them for Easter supper...as has the exbf...isn't it funny how their two votes don't add up to (let alone surpass) my one vote in such matters?

Anyway, here's what I put together for the rub. I'm sure it could be used on chicken as well:

8 Tbsp smoked paprika
4 Tbsp granulated sugar
4 Tbsp brown sugar
4 Tbsp ground cumin
4 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp chilli pepper
2 Tbsp oregano
1 packet chili seasoning mix

cheers!
jasmine

add this page to del.icio.us

1 comment:

Lis said...

Those ribs are making my mouth water! They look heavenly!

Happy Easter!
xoxo