26 June 2008

In a crunchy but slightly mushy mood

As a run-up to Mmm...Canada, this week's posts will feature Canadian foods and food products. Today's post uses oats.

About two months ago, when I outted myself as a pinhead, I mentioned my sudden craving for granola.

Our dearest Ivonne visited me about a year ago and brought with her a parcel filled with homemade granola. It was so good--sweet and crunchy, studded with cranberries and blueberries--I had it with milk, yoghurt and ice cream...I was even grabbing handfuls as snacks. Wanting to satisfy my craving, I emailed her for the recipe and she obliged.

That's one of the things I really like about being a part of the food blogging community. We can ask each other for hints, recipes, techniques and even the occasional ear or opinion and it's generally freely given. No questions asked.

We visit each other's pages and riffle through their recipe books and pantries. We ooh and ah at intricate pastries and commiserate over horrible casseroles. Our dishes span many cuisines and courses, not to mention lifestyles and preferences. We dare each other to expand our horizons and invite one another to create new foods.

We can say "Hey! I want to do an event featuring my home country and I want you participate--you don't need to find it on a map, or have visited or anything, but I just want you to join in on the fun."


And for the most part they'll say "Hey! I can find it on a map and YES I'd love to take part."

Better yet, we can say "Hey, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods...wanna hang out?" and you can usually find a dining companion...


And like many RL communities, word spreads about our joys and our pains. We find little gifts in our mailboxes (real and virtual). We support freely and we are supported unexpectedly.

Most of this without ever meeting each other face-to-face.

Fruit and Nut Granola
adapted from Stonewall Kitchen Favourites

125g rolled oats
55g pinhead oats
50g sweetened shredded coconut
50g sunflower seeds
50g pumpkin seeds
50g whole almonds
35g brown sugar
1tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ ginger
75ml maple syrup
60ml oil
1tsp vanilla extract
100g dried fruit

Putting it together

  1. Preheat oven to 150C/300F and line a baking tray with foil or parchment
  2. Mix all the ingredients together, spread evenly on the prepared tray and pop into the oven for 30-40 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes or so, so the granola doesn't clump together. The granola is ready to come out of the oven when it's a lovely golden colour
  3. Remove from oven and put the tray on a cooling rack. Stir once or twice until cool
  4. Keeps in an airtight container for up to six weeks.


cheers!
jasmine


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All so very true. Everyday I am more and more amazed by this community and everyday I find something or someone new. Looks like space wasn't the final frontier!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I recently made some granola and we couldn't stop ourselves from wolfing it down . . . well when it was gone we had to stop;)) It's beautiful stuff.
Yes, Jasmine I'm always so amazed at what friends can be made without ever face to face.

glamah16 said...

Great post. I do love this community and hope it stays positive.And I love a good granola too.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Jasmine, you have said it all. The blogging community is insanely generous. I have received parcels from different places in the world and tried ingredients for the first time because of my food blogging friends (maple syrup was one of those ingredients; Brilynn, from Jumbo Empanadas, sent me a bottle last year).
That granola is making me want to eat breakfast all over again - and it's noon here now in Sao Paulo!

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

We *just* emailed you our post for Mmm... Canada! =)

Cheers!
_ts of [eatingclub] vancouver

Brilynn said...

This really was great granola! We need to get together again sometime soon.

jasmine said...

Hello all

I've been enjoying this with yoghurt and fresh berries...yum!

Brilynn: you bet--we should try for the late summer/early autumn.

j