29 November 2008

Daring Bakers: Shuna Fish Lydon's Caramel Cake

• Recipe's origins: Bay Area Bites: Caramel Cake, The Recipe
• Recipe's orginator: Shuna Fish Lydon
• Our hostess:
Dolores of Culinary Curiosity

• Our co-hostess: Alex of Brownie and Blondie and Jenny of Foray into Food


When I heard that this month's DB challenge was one of Shuna's recipes, I was positively overjoyed. Not only is she the wonderful authoress of the equally wonderful Eggbeater, but I had the distinct pleasure of being on the BlogHer '07 foodblogging panel with her. I can tell you all that she's an absolutely warm and lovely person and I am so happy to have had the opportunity to have met her.

I read though the recipe and I knew exactly when it would be served. You see, this month marked My Most Marvellous Manager's 10th anniversary at the company. He's a truly great person and I am so lucky to have worked with him for the past seven and a half years--quite knowledgeable, a great mentor and quite patient (well, you have to be to work with me). I'm pretty sure he didn't suspect I'd bring in some treats to mark the milestone..

I'm not much of a caramel maker. I've only made it successfully once before. Normally I get a crystaline formation that could resemble an outcropping on a planet seen on Doctor Who. Previous attempts left me so frustrated that I simply gave up, or if I was cooking with my Dear Little Cardamummy, I'd just get her to make it. Well, I seem to have regained my caramel making touch as it turned out perfectly, with little wisps of smoke rising as the Napalm-.like liquid turned a deep amber.

The batter came together wonderfully. Can't say much better than that.

Now, when it came to determining how best to take it in, I decided to go with cupcakes. I have learned that I have some...enthusastic eaters...around me, and sometimes it's best that treats be pre-portioned...mind you, it also means there's less clean up in the end, so it's not totally an altruistic decision.

Cuppycakes they were. the recipe turned out about 18 slightly mounded slight cakes. My guess is Beelzebub was done with them in about 20 minutes.Truth be told, 12 of them made it to the office...the other six were mysteriously left in my kitchen. Funny how this happens from time to time.

I think the next time I make this cake, I'll halve the icing recipe. It's quite delicious, but there's a lot of it. I'd prefer a thinnish icing layer bonneting the cakes, than entombing the delicate and soft crumb in all that icing.

Everyone loved the cupcakes -- including MMMM.





To see what the other Daring Bakers did, please visit our blogroll.

cheers!
jasmine




AddThis Social Bookmark Button

22 comments:

Katerina said...

Beautiful! I hope someone else took that picture of the caramel for you, I was totally scared when I made mine.

Karen Baking Soda said...

Hmm wonder where those six went...
The frosting was the big surpriser for me in this recipe. In very small doses it was delicious!

Laura Rebecca said...

Very pretty! I really liked the browned butter frosting, too.

giz said...

I like that you did the cupcake version - it's a great visual for this cake.

NKP said...

A very lucky manager indeed! I love the cupcakes. I have leftover frosting too... maybe I should make something with it today...
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

You know, if I were to make this cake again, I think I'd follow your lead and make cupcakes - smart!

Anonymous said...

"Normally I get a crystaline formation that could resemble an outcropping on a planet seen on Doctor Who."

Haha, yeah, that's my results when making caramel too. Maybe we should start a club!

Your cupcakes look delicious.

Sara said...

oooo cupcakes! i wanted to try that with this recipe but i was afraid i'd mess it up. looks great j!

Anonymous said...

I love how yours turned out, and clearly they were a big hit in your office. I halved the frosting recipe, and it made enough recipe for thin layers of frosting, just what I wanted. The caramel syrup could have been halved as well, but it can be used for so many other things that I don´t see the point.

Anonymous said...

I made cupcakes too! These looks lovely and how mice of you to share them with you manager!

Anonymous said...

Your cupcakes turned out lovely! Sweet and simple. And I agree with you on the icing-a tiny bit goes a long way.

creampuff said...

Looks to me like you managed it very well ... you know I think this is one recipe that actually comes out better if you make cupcakes!

TeaLady said...

Cupcakes look great. Lots of us made them instead of a cake. Sooooo sweet....

Yummy looking.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Lovely cupcakes! Glad others enjoyed them with you!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Pretty cupcakes. I love your process pics. I think I've solved the "Mystery of the six cupcakes!"

Deeba PAB said...

How lovely to have such a great maanager...& what a lovely lady you are to take the challenge to work! YAY for you j...I love the 6 mysterious left behinds. Must admit that the frosting was addictive as can be...love the cupcakes!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

looks great jasmine. i am going to be doing muffins the next time i make these.

Dolores said...

Gorgeous caramel cupcakes Jasmine. What a lovely way to commemorate an important anniversary. I hope your boss enjoyed them. Thanks for baking with us.

Deborah said...

I usually have bad luck with caramel, but this one worked out. Maybe it was the recipe?? Your cupcakes are beautiful!

glamah16 said...

Cupcakes seems like the perfect way to go with this recipe. Just the right amount of proportions.

Bex said...

Everything looks great! Well done.

Jenny said...

Cupcakes are a great idea for this recipe. Afterall, you look like a pig if you go back for a 3rd one. :-)