15 February 2008

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side

Okay, now that I've let you have that Musical Youth moment...

...or two...

Since my
Time to make the doughnuts post one of Tim Horton's CSRs wrote back with a little info on their Dutchies. No, they don't know why they're called that, but these doughnuts were part of the original Tim Horton offering in in 1964. Fair enough. Baking Soda came up with a very plausible suggestion, when she suggested that the name may have something to do with the Pennsylvania Dutch -- makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, my little cakes kinda sorta got all squooshed on their way from the second rise to the oil. I'd forgotten to put some flour on the first tray and when I lifted them out they went from little square cushion about to be tansformed into yummy fried treats to what looked to be pummeled remnants of a pillow fight about to be transformed into yummy fried treats.

Watching the bits of dough bob and float in the hot oil, I must admit that I began doughnut-watching. It's like cloud-watching, finding familiar figures in gathered bits of water mist against a blue canvas, but it's tastier. Think of it as a foodie version of a
Rorschach Inkblot Test.

Not sure what you see, but here's what I found:



Left: A hen sitting on her nest, but the photo makes it look more like an alley cat that's been in one too many fights.
Right: A sock puppet.


Left:
Astroboy
Right: A heart.




Left: Frankenstein's monster wearing a beret.
Right: Either an ice cream cone or a turkey leg.

Hmmm...notice how I see a lot of food images in food? Wonder what that says about me.

Anyway...so there I was with this collection of doughnuts. Granted a few were eaten that first night, but after a couple of days, they just get a little...well...stale. Not one to let a good doughnut go to waste, I did the only thing I cold think of...

Make a doughnut pudding.



It's quite simple. Instead of using bread or jam sandwiches for bread pudding, simply cut up the stale doughnuts, and let them soak in a sweet, creamy-eggy mixture for a little bit before baking in a 180C (350F) oven until the custard has set. Yummy, yummy yummy.


cheers!
jasmine




AddThis Social Bookmark Button


13 comments:

glamah16 said...

Good use of stale doughnuts. I see your interpetations quite clearly.

K and S said...

mmm donut pudding, will have to give this version a try :)

Helene said...

Love it! #5: Elephant man, #6 a whole country ham! That Dutchies bread pudding looks "I wanna pudding now....s'il vous plait!" Thought about you a lot yesterday and today. Hugs.

Alice Q. Foodie said...

These are great - the heart also looks like a hopeful begging dog looking up!

Anonymous said...

Those look like Olibollen which is a Dutch tradition around my family. That's my guess on where the name Dutchies came from.
They look delicious especially when you surround them in custard!

Annemarie said...

I love it. :) Agree with all your donut-spottings, though for num 4 I saw a marshamallow peep and number 4 I saw a kind old dog with a beret. Off to look in the kitchen for hidden visual gems...

Gigi said...

Great idea for the left over donuts. I thought I saw an acorn and a rubber duckie. :)

Jenny said...

Comfort food! Comfort food! Yummy, yummy!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I can see all those characters Jasmine! That is great.
And please I can take care of any leftover of that pudding. I've just been on a long walk and that would just fit in for me.

breadchick said...

Thanks Jasmine, I think... I've been humming this song all evening now. At least the doughnut pudding looks wonderful. Now I have to make more doughnuts to have pudding.

Bron said...

what a wonderful idea for your leftover doughnuts, had a good laugh at your doughnut characters too, hehe

Deborah said...

What a funny post!! And doughnut pudding sounds fantastic!

jasmine said...

Hello all

Glad you like the pudding! I think it would be *better* if the doughnuts were made into jam sandwiches before soaking them in the custard.

Still trying to figure out the origins of these doughnuts...thus far coming up blank.

j