26 July 2015

My Darling One...eight years later

06 01 29 Embrujo Flamenco Tapas Bar Toronto JM & MV1

Some years are less difficult than others.  Some days are less difficult than others.  Every year I pause to remember The Fussy Eater, who died eight years ago today.  Our time together was as long as The Fates saw fit.

Today I remember him via food and film.  A marathon viewing of The Hobbit trilogy in the TV Temple -- his TV Temple -- and supper of some of his much-loved foods.

My versions of some his much-loved foods.

Pizza with pancetta, mushrooms, roasted aubergine, black olives, sundried tomatoes, artichokes, roasted peppers, and onions with chicken wings on the side.  Dessert is a Victoria Sponge, made the old fashioned way.

His pizza would have seen the aubergines, olives, sundried tomatoes, artichokes and roasted peppers substituted with pepperoni, sausage, ham, bacon and maybe either salami or chicken. I'm not entirely certain he'd have had the pancetta, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

He'd have approved of boxed frozen wings that were injected and covered with who-knows-what.

The cake would be passable, I think.  He would have whimpered at the lack of chocolate, or that it wasn't the squidgy chocolate loaf he always not-so-secretly wanted.

The films would have met with his approval.

jasmine
I'm a quill for hire!

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It is never easy to lose someone but as we know they will always be with us in a smell, a taste, a song.