13 March 2009

Fishy Fridays: Chilli garlic shrimp

This one I fully credit the palate worm.

I've been craving many things this month. No. I'm not pregnant...at this point such a feat would be indicative of Divine intervention...and although Loki seems to have taken residence at mine, we're just good friends.

This wretched cold of mine (yes, I'm still suffering residual coughs and sneezes...and my sinuses haven't been helped by the wacky weather we've experienced) left me craving foods I was too tired to make myself and to lazy to find someone who'd make it and deliver to my doorstep.

What I wanted was a combination of the salt and pepper squid my favourite dim sum-ery makes and Thai sweet chilli garlic shrimp. A combination of the salty goodness of those crunchy coated squiggly tentacles and the sticky heat of shrimp. Yes, I know the sauciness of the dish would probably negate the crunchiness of deep fat frying, but the palate wants what the palate wants.

It's really easy to put together--basically all the wet ingredients can be measured out with a shotglass. I chose to marinate the shrimp before dredging and frying. I just figured it was the best and easiest way to get as much flavour into the meat, and not have the sweet-saltiness just sit on top. I had them with glass noodles (fast and easy), but I think rice would be a nice pairng as well. To keep the heat bright, I sprinkled the minced chillies just before serving.

Yes, it's fried. You can deep fat fry the shrimp if you wish, but I just shallow fried them. It's not scary. Really. Don't look at me that way.


Chilli Garlic Shrimp

4 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbps honey
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp nam pla
1 Tbsp black vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb ginger, minced
2 green chillies, minced (or to taste)
500g raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
cornstarch, for dredging
peanut oil, for shallow frying

Mix together soy, honey, oystersauce, nam pla, vinegar, garlic and ginger. Divide mixture between two bowls and let shrimp marinate in one bowl for at least 15 minutes.

Dredge shrimp in cornstarch while you heat the oil in a wok until shimmery.

Fry shrimp in batches until cooked.

Tip out oil and clean out the wok. Tip in the unused marinade and let bubble. Tip in the cooked shrimp and coat well. Let sauce reduce to desired thickness before serving over noodles or rice. Sprinkle with minced chillies.



cheers!
jasmine






AddThis Social Bookmark Button

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never look at you that way - a little frying is a good thing!

Megan said...

These look like they are worth every second of deep frying!

Dewi said...

Hello Jasmine,
I believe this is my first time here, and I am loving your recipe, especially this simple shrimp and ginger. Nam pla is always make any dish tastier, don't you think?
Cheers,
elra

Deetsa said...

ooh ooh ooh! I want some! Hmmm, I actually have all of these ingredients (sometimes a very rare event) I just may have to make this soon. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

pigpigscorner said...

Such wonderful flavours!! Looks so yummy!

test it comm said...

Those shrimp look really tasty!

Julianna said...

I really liked the thought/taste of this recipe so I've bought all the ingredients in preparation for tomorrow BUT I've bought cooked shrimps as opposed to raw ones; will this effect the end result?

jasmine said...

Julianna--you might be okay, just warm through the shrimp in the pan, ensuring they don't get too tough.

J

Julianna said...

It was fantastic!! Thank you for a lovely recipe.