22 August 2009

My Cleo, my champion

As some of you who follow my Twitter feed know this week was a difficult one.

My dear Cleo, took a turn for the worse and a very difficult decision had to be made; this wasn't totally unexpected as he had quite a scare 2.5 years ago.

My ball of purry fluff who came in from the cold wouldn't recover from the particular combination of ailments as what would cure one would worsen another. It was for the best...he was in discomfort, but not in pain and it would have turned very quickly to pain.

We had our last cuddle yesterday, through which his legendary purr started out as a little putter and got stronger and stronger, happy paws and all. I couldn't be there for his final moments, but the exbf told me as soon as Cleo could no longer hear or see me, his purr died down to a bit of a splutter; he thought Cleo hung on for me, and he knew that was our last cuddle. He purred softly until the very end.

I'm teary, but I know this was the best decision for him.

Will be back...in a bit.


jasmine



AddThis Social Bookmark Button








13 comments:

jezinthekitchen said...

I am so very sorry for your loss ... I myself lost my friend of 13 years just two weeks ago. I still see his eyes when I turn a corner in the house, still feel his silky furry belly on my feet at night. God bless ... I wish you peace, and an easing of the pain in your heart.

Unknown said...

so sorry to hear about cleo! hugs to you!

Valérie said...

I'm so sorry... I feel for you, I also have a long-time furry companion who is getting on in years, and I dread the day when I have to make this decision.

At least you were able to make Cleo's life a good one.

The Guardian said...

There is nothing finer than a good snuggle with a purring ball of fluff. And nothing worse than when we have to be unselfish and let them go.

I truly hope that the rainbow bridge to Heaven exists and that all of our little babies are waiting there for us on the other side.

I am so sorry for your loss, Jasmine...I do know your pain.

Great big licks and hugs from my furry babies to you, my friend.

K and S said...

so sorry to hear, hugs jasmine!

Jerry said...

Jasmine - sorry to hear about Cleo! Losing a pet is traumatic - anyone who suggests it isn't should just be shunned. In the past 5 years we have lost two cats and it is always a challenge.

Dharm said...

So sorry my dear friend... I remember years ago when my doggie, Ginger, was in hospital and she finally gave in... My mom wanted me to leave her there but I insisted on bringing her home. Today, almost 15 years on, where she lies there is a beautiful tree full of yellow bell flowers! I now tell my children stories of how my little doggie and I used to have so much fun...memories never die!

Karen Baking Soda said...

I'm so sorry to hear Jasmine. Hugs!

Sweet Kitchen said...

I am so very sorry. Our family dog is reaching the point where we will probably need to make a difficult decision soon and I am dreading it. I admire your courage.

Jenny said...

Oh I'm so sorry Jasmine! Saving a big hug for you.

Unknown said...

Oh Jasmine, I am so sorry to read this. hugs to you....

Denise Rootenberg said...

Hi from a Torontonian (actually, Thornhillian, the deadly boring city above T.O.). Did you make the bees on the header? They are unbelievably cute.

Cakelaw said...

Cleo was such a gorgoeus cat - and thanks for sharing this moving moment with us. Sorry for your loss.